Decoding the Secrets of Binary Data
The Forum 1:30pm
Video not live. Check back during the session!
If the session is complete, the video may be processing. Check back soon.
Opaque blobs of data have hexed Android programmers for too long. It’s time to byte the bullet and learn how data is transmitted and persisted.
In this talk we’ll:
- 💾 Learn a bit about base64, little-endian, and EOF.
- 💾 See how inefficient encodings nibble away resources.
- 💾 Hash out the differences between ASCII, UTF-8, and other charsets.
- 💾 Zip through examples of compression, crypto, and protocol buffers.
- 💾 Load up on APIs and discover what Square’s Okio has in store.
This talk offers a short introduction to an array of topics. You’ll learn enough to be encode & decode whatever data you select!
Jesse Wilson, Square, Inc.
Jesse works on Square Cash in Waterloo Canada. He’s contributed to OkHttp, Retrofit, Dagger, and Guava.